Tuesday, June 29, 2010

{Craypays... er, I mean Crepes}

When I wake up, I instantly head towards the kitchen to whip up something yummy for breakfast, whether it is something sweet like pancakes, crepes, and mini choco chip muffins, or other traditional breakfast food such as eggs and bacon.

To show you what my morning was like today, here is a never-before-seen preview of my new play entitled "The Big Sister Who Asked Her Little Sister What She Wanted For Breakfast, and The Little Sister Who Did Not Make Any Sense When She Said A Word That Her Big Sister Thought Was Made Up And/Or In Another Language."*

*Disclaimer: I am just joking. This is not a real play, and if it were, it would not be too successful. Not everyone thinks that a little sister mispronouncing a word is hilarious.

CAST

Big Sister
Little Sister
Mother

Act 1, Scene 1

(Little Sister goes into the kitchen and sees Big Sister peering into the fridge.)

Little Sister
What are you looking for?

Big Sister
I don't know what to make for breakfast. I'm looking for food to eat.

(Little Sister's face lights up)

Little Sister
I know! Remember before when you made something like pancakes, but it wasn't
pancakes?

(Big Sister looks perplexed and thinks, What is that? Pancakes but not pancakes...)

Little Sister
Remember? It was thin and we put chocolate and syrup on it? What was it called? Hmmmm..... (thinks for a few seconds) Oh! I know now! They were called craypays!

Big Sister
(stifles a laugh) What!?

Little Sister
Craypays? Creepeys? I forgot how to say it, but they were good!

Big Sister
(finally gets it) Oh! You mean crepes! (Bursts into laughter) What are... (giggles) craypays?

Little Sister
(
smiles sheepishly) Oh! Ooops! Sorry, I meant crepes....(giggles)....craypays.

(Both sisters stare at each other until they start laughing hysterically on the kitchen floor, which is where they still are when their mother arrives)

Mother
What are you doing on the floor?

Big Sister
We're having craypays for breakfast.

Mother
What's a craypay?

End Scene



Ingredients
1 1/3 C milk
1 C flour
3 Tbs sugar (use less if you want to make savory crepes)

2 Tbs canola oil

2 eggs



To Make the Batter

1. Mix the eggs, oil, and sugar together.
2. Gradually add the flour while you are whisking. Y
ou need to have a batter with absolutely no lumps.
3. Keep adding flour until your batter is at a point where in it is thick and hard to whisk. Add milk bit by bit and whisk until all the ingredients in the bowl are mixed. The result will be a very thin batter.


Unlike other batter, like that of waffles and pancakes, you need a very thin batter for crepes.



To Cook The Crepes

You can use a crepe pan, but it is not necessary. You can also use a normal non-stick skillet. You need to make sure that your pan is hot before pouring the batter in. Also, before you pour the batter on the pan, grease it with a bit of butter.

Remember not to use a lot of the batter! All you need is enough batter to be able to fill the bottom of your pan (you can move the pan with one hand in a circular motion). Place your pan back on your stove and wait until the edges of your crepe have browned a bit. The time varies depending on the amount of batter you have, the heat of your pan, and the type of pan that you are using. It might take 30 seconds to cook one side of the crepe, but sometimes it may take more. If you are able to place a rubber spatula under your solid crepe, this means that it is cooked. Flip it so that the other side of the crepe is cooking.

Once you are finished cooking a crepe, you can serve it immediately or place it on a plate so that after you have finished cooking all of your crepes you will have a stack of them. Repeat these steps until you have used up all of your batter.


A crepe with chocolate sauce... yum!

Before I started making crepes, my mother reminded me not to make the crepes too thick, and I have to agree with her. I think that crepes taste better if they are thin, and not thick like a pancake.

After you have made your crepes you should look around your kitchen to see what you can out on top of your crepes. Let's face it, who enjoys plain crepes?

For people with a sweet tooth:
Fruit like strawberries, bananas, blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries. You can use any of the fruit pie fillings or jam for crepes, like peach, cherry, and blueberry. If you want your crepes even sweeter, you can try sifting some sugar on top. Another kind of topping that I like is chocolate sauce. Try peanut butter, whipped cream, or maple syrup with some butter. You can even add some finely chopped nuts, like walnuts, hazelnuts, etc.

If you are not really fond of sweet crepes, than you can try some savory crepes.

For people who prefer things savory:
Scrambled eggs, smoked salmon, ham and cheese, and mushrooms and cheese


These are just some suggestions. Look around to see what you like - you might come up with a new delicious topping for your crepes
.

No comments:

Post a Comment