Wednesday, May 26, 2010

(Chocolate Chip) Cookie Monster


From cinnamon coated snicker doodles to exotic - tasting coconut macaroons, there is at least one cookie which compels one's eyes to go wide in exhilaration at the thought of biting into it. On dull, dreary days, nothing cheers me up as much as a cookie. What kind of cookie makes my heart pump a mile a minute, and makes my adrenaline race? Is it a dainty thumbprint cookie, with a an exquisite jam topping? How about a light and fluffy meringue, that would melt in your mouth at the first bite? If I could eat just one type of cookie for the rest of my life, it would have to be chocolate chip cookies. They are not as elaborate as an adorned sugar cookie, but when it comes to cookies, I gravitate towards the simpler ones. Once you bite into one, your head will spin with all the flavors. Sweet and buttery, with a slight hint of vanilla. Chewy, with gooey chocolate at every bite.

Ingredients:
2 cups chocolate chips
1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup (2 sticks) butter* room temperature

2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs

The cookies that I made became really ginormous, and we only had about 18. I am sure that you will have even more cookies if you make them smaller (I am going to try to make smaller cookies next time).


1. Set oven to 350 degrees (180 degrees Celsius).
2. Mix flour, salt, and baking soda in a bowl. Set this mixture aside.
3. Beat the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar with an electric mixer until they are combined thoroughly.


4. Add the eggs and the vanilla extract, and beat them until they are fully mixed.

5. Add the flour, baking soda, and salt mixture.
6. Add 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips.
7. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes.


Note: I used an ice cream scoop to put the cookie dough on a cookie sheet. You can also just use a normal spoon to drop the cookies. You can choose what size you want the cookies to be, and it is best to make them 2 or more inches away from each other.



My sister, caught in the act! You can see her hand trying to take some of the chocolate chips. She has a really big sweet tooth!


Some of the cookies were too big, so they stuck to each other a bit. Next time, I am going to put fewer cookies on the tray, and add more space in between them. I might have gotten a bit carried away with the size of the cookies…
If this happens to you, don’t worry! I have a simple little solution – use cookie cutters! Your cookies will end up looking cute, and everyone will want to sneak in one…or two… alright, I admit that I usually take more than three!



These cookies are really easy to make, and my sister wanted to use the heart-shaped cookie cutters.


I learned one more thing – your butter should be room temperature. I forgot to take the butter out of the fridge, and I ended up having to put it in the microwave! I do not recommend doing this, because some of the cookies had little butter bits in them! I love butter (who doesn’t?), but sometimes it is better to eat something without really tasting the butter in them. Before you start baking, make sure the butter is at room temperature! I don’t think I will forget that anytime soon…

A zoom in on my first cookie attempt!
Thirsty? A cold glass of milk has your name on it!

No comments:

Post a Comment