Friday, June 25, 2010

{Mmmmini Choco Chip Muffins}


Recipe Adapted from Bakerella

This morning I woke up and felt like baking something for breakfast. I have made pancakes and crepes in the past (I will post something about how I make my crepes soon), but I have a soft spot for these mini muffins because they are so minuscule and adorable and I could not help myself to just one.You can even bring them with you whenever you go somewhere so that you always have a little snack on hand (I can just pop them in my mouth).


Some of you may find them sweet, and I can see you crinkling your noses when you imagine adding even more sugary goodness to these mini muffins - maple syrup. It is so sweet, but I always find myself reaching for it whenever I devour breakfast food like pancakes, waffles, or crepes.

Ingredients
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
2/3 cup buttermilk*
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup (and more if you want to drizzle it on top of your mini muffins after they are finished baking)
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips (these can be the miniature kind if you prefer)


*After a few minutes of searching online, I quickly found out that you can make a buttermilk substitute if you do not have any buttermilk. The ways to make the substitutes sound interesting, but I have never tried making a buttermilk substitute. If you like using these methods, you do not have to run to the grocery store just to buy buttermilk!

If you want to try and make a buttermilk substitute, all you need a
re milk (slightly less than one cup) and 1 tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice

1. Add 1 tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice to the milk.

2. Let this stand for five minutes.

(Yes, that's it! It is that easy)

Also, you use plain yogurt or sour cream instead of buttermilk.

If buttermilk is not available at your supermarket, you can try and search for powdered buttermilk. All you need to do is to add water to it.


1. Set oven to 350 degrees (180 degrees Celsius).
2. Mix the first five ingredients together (the dry ingredients) in a bowl. Set aside.

Make sure you have greased mini muffin pans nearby.


3. Mix the egg, milk, vanilla, and butter, and then pour this mixture into the bowl with the dry ingredients.





4. Mix until they are well incorporated.



5. Spoon about 1 tablespoon of the mixture into your mini muffin pans.




6. Bake for 9 to 11 minutes
.

A lot of them looked plain on the outside, but it was okay since you can taste all the chocolate chips that were hidden inside.

I hope these give a fantastic start to your day!

No comments:

Post a Comment